Posted on 2nd January 2017
This post is a case study involving Automated Guided Vehicles implementation at one of the largest paint manufacturer firm based in India. This company is one of the largest paint manufacturers, offering a wide range of painting & waterproofing solutions for homes, offices & more.
Why are we introducing them?
Redesigning of the complete process of transferring pallets with Paint Buckets/Cartons from an end of packing line to ASRS was to be done. If a conveyor based solution was opted, 50% of aisle space would have been blocked & even in a case of minor failure, production would have been affected. Thus a safe and dependent system was required to replace the conventional MHEs which are often a cause of accidents and result in high operational costs.
After studying the complete project, The Hi-Tech Robotic Systemz Ltd. proposed Automated Guided Vehicles as a solution.
A fleet of Novus Carry (Unit Load Automated Guided Vehicles with integrated motorized roller bed conveyors on) were supplied. These AGVs collect a loaded pallet from an end of packing line & carry these pallets to store area. Along with integration with customer inventory management software, Handshaking of vehicles was also done with Robotic Palletizing Cells using CCU.
Features of System
- Multiple Process Poke-Yoke & Safety Interlocks
- Safe & accident-free operation
- Integrated with Robotic Palletizing Cells & ASRS
- Robust Design for handling heavy payloads
- Wireless integration for Remote Call with customer MES
Outcomes from AGVs implementation
- 70% of floor space was freed for man-movement
- Annual Operation & Maintenance Costs was reduced by 20%
- Real-time Inventory update
- Zero Forklift movement
- Safe and Accident-free operation
Are you working in paint or chemical industry? How are you managing your material movement challenges?
Topics:   Automated Guided Vehicles.